Tuesday 19 February 2013

The Problem Of Multiple Anniversaries

Tomorrow is the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Salta.

The Battle of Salta? Yes, the Battle of Salta, when a Patriot army under General Belgrano defeated a Royalist force under General Pio de Tristan just north of the present-day Argentinian city of Salta.

You can read about it HERE.

Now I've refought Salta in the past - back in 2007 in fact - and there's a few pictures to prove it. I used a variant of 'Rocket's Red Glare' (a set of rules for the War of 1812), as the scale of battles they cover is just about right.

But tomorrow I want to refight Salta on its 200th anniversary. I have a bit of a thing for the South American Wars of Liberation, and it would be great to play a game on the actual day.

I considered using it as an excuse to try out Black Powder, now I own a copy of the rules. The battle translates OK and would make for a small, quick, game to learn the rules with. But eventually I decided to settle for something quick and simple. I'm going to use a variant of my Portable Wargame square-grid  ACW variant, 'Mighty Mean-Fowt Fights'. A few tweaks will scale the rules down for South American Napoleonic warfare - reduce musketry to 2 squares range and artillery to 4 squares, whilst giving cavalry a +1 against all troops (as well as the +1 against disordered troops) - cavalry were often a decisive battle winner in these wars. I have the figures. I have the square grid. I have the terrain.

I have everything I need.

Almost.

You see, tomorrow is the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Salta. I'm working all day, and we have family coming over for a meal in the evening. Why? Because it's also the 20th anniversary of the day I got married.

How am I going to fit in a game?

Watch this space ...

"What do you mean, he's thinking of wargaming on our anniversary?"

3 comments:

  1. Happy anniversaries!

    I hope that you enjoy both of them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And for reasons too involved to go into here, after a lovely meal and a bottle of wine donated by a friend, I spent the evening of my 10th wedding anniversary playing HOTT with said friend. True story.

      Delete
  2. Ditto from all at the duchy of Tradgardland too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...